Mittwoch, 24. Oktober 2012

Bye bye, RCI Sackville

A few days ago, I have read that dismantling of the former Radio Canada International transmitting site in Sackville has started. Those are sad news - as a lot of news dealing with shortwave broadcasting in the last years.

I remember to have heard RCI (CBC then) Sackville for the first time in 1963. In 1965, I joined the Radio Canada Shortwave Club then listening to the CBC transmissions on a regular basis. When my family and I spent our holidays in August 1999 in Québec, New Brunswick, and Nova Scotia we visited the Sackville transmitter site where we were friendly welcomed by a young RCI employee who was an excellent guide.

Now, all these things have gone. The afterglow of decades of radio listening is the only thing to remain ...

Sackville 1999: Me in front of the transmitter site.

Sackville 1999: Access road to the transmitter building (backgrou8nd left)

My son Uwe and I in front of the Sackville RCA transmitter.

Early QSL card confirming a transmission from Sackville.

Membership certificate of RCSWC.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen